Filed under: lists | Tags: favorite albums of 2009, lists, lists! 2009, music
20. Japandroids – Post-Nothing (Polyvinyl) – A lo-fi, noise rock album with a punk energy.
19. Vetiver – Tight Knit (Sub Pop) – Vetiver‘s move to Sub Pop Records produces an album more folky, less freaky.
18. Major Lazer – Guns Don’t Kill People…Lazers Do (Sony Music) – Superstar producers Diplo and Switch work with Jamaican dancehall stars to make one of the most unique sounding albums this year.
17. Bon Iver – Blood Bank EP (Jagjaguwar) – If only for “Woods” alone.
16. Raekwon – Only Built for Cuban Linx, Pt. II (Ice H2o) – In a year where I didn’t listen to much new rap, OBFCLPII was the best of the bunch for me, reuniting all living members of the Wu-Tang Clan.
15. Miike Snow – Miike Snow (Downtown Records) – An indie-electro producer’s project of pure pop.
14. Dinosaur Jr. – Farm (Jagjaguwar) – The second comeback album from Dinosaur Jr. is even better than 2007’s Beyond.
13. Girls – Album (True Panther Sounds) – The druggy, ethereal lo-fi pop debut album has a few of the year’s best songs in “Hellhole Ratrace”, “Laura” and “Lust for Life.”
12. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart – The Pains of Being Pure at Heart (Slumberland) – Another lo-fi indie pop entry this year, albeit with a shoegaze bent.
11. Passion Pit – Manners (Frenchkiss) – The irresistibly hooky, synth-filled and helium-vocaled album had several songs that made a ton of my playlists this year.
1 Comment so far
Leave a comment