– A pretty extensive list of all movies referenced in Inglourious Basterds (via Cinematical)
The shot near the beginning of Basterds taken through an open doorway from inside a dark house as Shosanna runs away and Landa steps outside is a clear visual reference to the iconic shot from this John Ford masterwork.
– Interview with Christoph Waltz aka Colonel Hans Landa from Inglourious Basterds
– “Mad Men” Footnotes: A cultural catalogue
– Rambo 5 gets a greenlight
– Disney buys Marvel Entertainment for $4 billion
– Cinematical’s summer “fun facts” which is basically a list of common themes or events in movies, though some are pretty dumb such as movies that end with the song “Boom Boom Pow” by the Black Eyed Peas (G-Force and G.I.Joe btw)
– Time’s 10 lessons from the 2009 Box Office
Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment
7. Send a Get-Well Card to Indies
Ten years ago, a little company released a horror fakeumentary called The Blair Witch Project. Shot for just $60,000 and smartly promoted online, the film grossed $141 million and was the sensation of summer 1999. Since then, the so-called indies have launched small-budget movies as hot-weather palate-cleansers between the courses of big-studio Big Macs. That strategy paid off handsomely with the comedies My Big Fat Greek Wedding and Little Miss Sunshine and the documentaries Fahrenheit 9/11 and March of the Penguins. Even the occasional foreign film, like La vie en rose, could find a warm summer reception.
Not so this season…