Filed under: lists | Tags: 10 essentials, bourbon, clothes, gadgets, guy stuff, Netflix, tv, websites
I guess we will make this a thing here. In no particular order…
1. Sirius XMU – Channel 43 on XM is approximately 83x better ever since the Sirus/XM merger; basically it is now Sirius’ Left of the Center channel with a new name. It was a lifesaver to me earlier this year on my good-idea-at-the-time 18 hour drive to Austin, TX for SXSW (not that I regret it at all, mind you); not only did it inform me of the awesome, free Hot Freaks party (where I saw The Hold Steady and The Thermals among several others), it also had live reports from Austin throughout the day as well to get me amped up for the festival. Whereas XM’s XMU was borderline unlistenable at times, I can put Sirius XMU on and not change the channel for hours. I should also mention how great Blog Radio is, which lets popular indie bloggers take over for 2 hours a day 6 days a week.
2. Griffin iTrip AutoPilot – I get sick of burning albums to blank cds. Now I simply load an album onto my iPod, hook it up to the iTrip AutoPilot and it to my cigarette lighter and it generally plays with very little radio interference or static. The on-the-go radio station scanning and play/forward/back buttons on the device are slick.
3. Netflix Watch Instantly + Xbox Live – I’ve praised this many times already, but it truly is essential for me. Now when I get stuck with something I didn’t necessarily want from my queue, I can simply browse the ever-growing library of watch instantly titles, add it to my queue and watch it in great quality on my big tv via my Xbox 360. And they are still improving the app: coming soon is the ability to browse and add to your queue within the Xbox Live interface itself. Awesome.
4. Weber Charcoal Grill – It’s by far messier and more time-consuming than a gas grill, but charcoal just makes food taste better (plus its an All-American classic). Essential for the warmer months when the itch to grill out is almost always there.
5. Flickr – By no means am I a professional photographer, but I love sharing my photos, tagging my photos, creating sets and collections of my photos on Flickr and having them all there for anyone to browse. Like you, perhaps.
6. AV Club – Such a great site with great regular features – Reviews (Music, Movies, Video Games, Books), Interviews, AV Club Inventory, The New Cult Canon, TV Club, The Hater, My Year of Flops, Commentary of the Damned, and so much more. The indie EW.com (whose online presence is very underrated).
7. Bourbon – My former roommate Neill introduced me to bourbon and I’ve been working my way through a few different bottles over the past few years – Woodford Reserve, Basil Hayden’s and now Blanton’s (a great birthday gift from my gf). I’ve got a bottle of scotch, a bottle of Jameson’s 12 year, and a bottle of Gentleman Jack but I consistently go for the bourbon when I want a whiskey drink. I mean, part of why I shop at Billy Reid is the potential of being offered a Bourbon drink while shopping.
8. American Apparel 50/50 t-shirts – Yea, I already mentioned this in my Top 5 from last week. They do require a washing or two to shrink them slightly for me, but they seriously rule.
9. Cole Haan C709 sunglasses – I lost my Ray-Ban Wayfarers about a year ago and hadn’t found suitable a replacement until I found these on sale for cheap last December. Yes, I know Wayfarers (Ray-Ban and impostors alike) are now officially everywhere (as was the case especially at Bonnaroo) but I really dig these glasses.
10. Seinfeld – I’m working my way through the complete series (currently on season 5, disc 4), and it just really is arguably the best show of all time. Not really much more I can say about it.
Previously: Matt Susong’s 10 Essentials
1 Comment so far
Leave a comment